Monday, April 6, 2009

Workaholic

It's been just over a week since my last blog post and, as DewTheZamboni will testify, that is just too long!

So, what's my excuse? Well, I've been extremely busy at work and simply too tired/lazy by the time I've gotten home. I worked 6 days last week (which unusual in a 5 day week) and I only took one lunch break in all that time. Three of those days I worked a 12 hour shift (again, not the sort of thing you should do in a 9 hour day), and do I get paid overtime for all this extra work... do I heck!

I was recently given a temporary 'award' for my flexible attitude towards work when I covered a shift for a colleague who was off sick during my own holidays. I say temporary because I had to give it back last week and it was given to someone else for their gallant efforts. I had hidden the thing in my draw during the time it was 'mine' because I never like to draw attention to myself. It is for that reason that I was horrified when I opened up the quarterly staff magazine today to find my photo inside, clutching my so-called 'prize'. That's right, QUARTERLY magazine! I'm going to be highly visible for a whole three months before it gets to be the turn of some other unfortunate soul who was just trying to do his or her job well!

Anyway, I'd like to say the worst is over in terms of my busy work load, but that simply isn't true. There are some big changes happening this year, and my particular department (comprising of two people) is impacted by all of them! I'm in the strange position of being completely indispensable, which is a nice feeling during a time of a global economic crisis. Maybe I should ask for a pay rise! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment