Thursday, September 24, 2009

Separated Rib

I self-diagnosed myself on my rib injury. My friend was right, and the description fits me perfectly. this is what it says.

Apparently I have separated ribs. I'll find out for sure at the doctors tomorrow.


Separated Rib
A severe blow can cause a rib separation, in which the rib tears loose from the cartilage in the front.
You will feel severe pain, usually toward the front of the rib cage, and it will hurt to breathe. When you bend over or rotate your body, you may feel a “pop.” It will be particularly painful to go from a lying to a sitting position, so you may have trouble getting out of bed in the morning. If someone puts one hand on your back and the other on your breastbone and squeezes, you will feel tremendous pain.
The treatment is to use a rib belt. This is a strap of elastic, about eight inches wide, that goes around the rib cage. It stretches tight and closes in front. This compresses the rib cage so that it can’t expand too far. The belt holds the rib end in place until it heals and lessens the pain of everyday movements.
No matter how much you may want to, you can’t participate in sports when you have separated ribs. The resulting pain will be too much to allow you to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment